The Student News Site of Sevastopol High School

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

Junior Naomi Rikkola hits 1,000th career point

Junior Naomi Rikkola made history in the Sevastopol gym. She became the youngest girls basketball player in Door County to ever hit the 1,000 point mark. 

Naomi Rikkola hit a bunny shot off her own rebound to earn her place in history. The Sevastopol gym was filled with friends, family, and community members alike, as the gym erupted in cheers as the junior put her bucket in.

Naomi Rikkola was 36 points away going into the teams game against Gibraltar on Saturday Feb. 3. Rikkola recognized the tough feat she was facing.

“I did not think I was going to get it,” Naomi Rikkola said. 

As she inched closer to her 1,000th point the crowd began to stir, the realization that this could happen today excited not only the crowd but also her teammates. 

“When she got down to eight points with about eight minutes to go, she kind of looked over and nodded at Coach Ben,” senior Sam Herrell said. “That was the point where we knew she was going to get it.”

Basketball is a way of life for the Rikkolas. Naomi is the second Rikkola sister to score 1,000 points, with her sister Bailey scoring her 1,000th point last season. Scoring 1,000 points is a tradition among the Rikkola family. Not only did Naomi and Bailey hit their 1,000th point, but both of their parents scored 1,000 points in their own high school basketball careers with mom Beth also scoring 1,000 points in her college career at Northland College.

Her family had a big impact on Naomi Rikkola’s basketball career. 

“My parents and my sister are definitely my biggest supporters,” Rikkola said. “They are also my coaches and mentors. My sister and I always practiced together and everyday it became a bigger part of my life,”Naomi Rikkola said.  

Naomi’s Rikkola goals for the remainder of the season include winning conference, regionals, and hopefully sectionals. 

“I will be proud of my team no matter the results.” Naomi Rikkola said. “Our team is like a family.”