The Student News Site of Sevastopol High School

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

After surveying families, board approves spring break for 2024-2025

Survey results as of Jan. 15. Ultimately the board followed the survey results and voted for a spring break.

When creating the schedule for the 2024-25 school year, the Sevastopol School Board ran into some problems and differing opinions. Because of the day Christmas and New Years fall on, winter break would be 12 days long and people began to question whether or not to have spring break.

The school board considered two possible schedule options but wanted input from families before making the final decision. Parents were emailed a form with the two options and asked to respond before the January school board meeting, 

One choice was to have spring break scheduled for the week of March 24-28 and have the last day of school be Thursday, June 5th. The second option was to have no spring break, have the Monday after Easter off, and have the last day of school be Friday, May 30th. 

As of January 10th, there were 229 responses, with 63.8% wanting a spring break and 36.2% wanting to go without a spring break.

Like the results from the survey sent to the parents, the students also have different opinions on the possible schedule changes. Junior Addison Schauske would’ve voted to have spring break.

“It’s nice just having a break because after winter break, we would go five months without a longer break so spring break is a nice way to break up the last few months,” Schauske said.

Most people enjoy having a week off school, even for those who don’t go on vacation. While some want to have spring break, others don’t.

If given the chance Eve Andreae, a junior, would have voted against having a spring break due to soccer.

“Because soccer usually always starts the same week as spring break, I can’t leave and go on vacation anyway,” Andreae said. “I also have sisters in college, so if we do go on vacation, we go during their spring break because ours never match up.”

Luedtke presented the survey results to the board on Jan. 24, which voted to approve the option of a spring break.

View Comments (1)
Donate to the Pioneer Chips

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sevastopol High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.