The Student News Site of Sevastopol High School

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

Book Review

Eleanor and Park
Book+Review

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, was recommended to me by Mrs. Spetz. Originally I didn’t think it would be the book for me but as I got further into the story, I couldn’t put it  down. I feel like a reader would like this book if they want a page turner, and something that will make them want to read. 

The plot of this story revolves around the two main characters, Eleanor and Park. Eleanor is new to Omaha, after her family left her father and moved in with her mother’s new fiance, Richie. Her relationship with her new step-father isn’t healthy due to the fact that he is an alcoholic and hasn’t stayed in contact with her father. Eleanor has lustrous red hair, and freckles on every inch of her skin. Park on the other hand has lived in Omaha his whole life and has a stable home life with his mom, dad, and his younger brother, Josh. He is half Korean with dark black hair and ‘eyes that you can get lost in.’ They start the story as acquaintances but as time goes on they start to grow fond of each other. Park helps Eleanor out of her comfort zone by encouraging her to stand up to her bullies and make sure that she is comfortable at home. They share Park’s comics on the bus to school and share their love for music. Eleanor would do anything for Park, and vice versa, but Eleanor goes to the extent to lie to her parents about hanging out with him. She pretends every day after school she goes and hangs out with her “friend” Tina, even though she is going to Park’s house. This occurs over and over again and helps bond their relationship even further. I won’t spoil the end but it will make you feel a whole bunch of emotions. 

Star Rating: 5/5