The Student News Site of Sevastopol High School

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

Club of the Week

Multicultural Club
Club of the Week
Rawpixel – Fotolia

Have you ever wondered why Mr. Irwin’s room is always “popping” on Tuesdays? The sweet smell of food exuding from under the door, maybe even some loud, banging music. That would be the multicultural club. The club is composed of kids from all throughout the high school; freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all flock to the room every other Tuesday of the year.

Multicultural club has been a staple at Sevastopol for the last couple of years. Prior to her leaving, Mrs. Muraksi was the head of the club, and she passed her reigns to Mr. Irwin. The club is currently covering countries from all over South America, and will soon be moving on to Africa. Countries that were covered this month included Argentina, Chile, Guatemala, and Cuba. In these presentations the presenting group covers food, music, geography, and popular landmarks.

Now, you may wonder why and how Multicultural club benefits our students, school, and community.

“The club works toward tolerance and understanding of all cultures, and promotes events and themes that foster cultural awareness.” states Mr. Irwin. The group attends events throughout the year that expand their cultural outlook. Last year the group went to a Multicultural Fair near Milwaukee.

“My favorite part was watching Symone and Mr. Irwin learn how to Japanese dance,” says president of the club, Molly Jefferson, “it was very interesting to watch.” If you are looking to join the group, feel free to attend any meeting.