The Student News Site of Sevastopol High School

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

the Pioneer Chips

Out of This World Development

There is no doubt that the students at Sevastopol are notable for their achievements. The student body is made up of some of the smartest individuals in the state, and that is not to be taken lightly. Some of our students take their academics outside of school, one of which is Logan Filar. 

Logan has recently developed a program on the planet’s revolutions, not only that, but provided a presentation on the program at Crossroads Nature Preserve. The program in itself is a remarkable innovation and has taken countless hours to develop. 

The program was developed using Python, a high-level programming language for emphasizing code, to push the project into reality. When asked about his inspiration for the program development, Logan can be cited saying “ I have always been interested in exoplanets and space in general. I had the opportunity to learn about developing a general AI involving exoplanets during a class I took over the summer. I took what I learned and made in that class and expanded on it to be more in-depth and more accurate.”

As for the next steps forward involving the program, Logan states “ The next steps forward are applying it to different image databases, hopefully including our own images that we take here in Door County.”

The program is not available for download, as it is still raw code, although the community is still asked to show as much support as possible for Logan’s program development. Logan also ended his interview on a positive note, concluding “If anybody has an interest in coding AI, I’m happy to share with them the classes that I took so they can learn more.”